The great benefits of olive oil are unmatched and can be compared, and research results reveal that new benefits and applications are being discovered almost every day.
In fact, we are only just beginning to understand how the myriad of forms of olive oil can improve our health and our lives. Olive oil is the basis of the Mediterranean diet, being an essential nutritional pillar for the oldest cultures in the world.
Benefits and health properties of organic olive oil
Organic olive oil is monounsaturated fat and is considered a food rich in fatty acids (high density lipoproteins, HDL), which helps protect us against bad cholesterol or low density lipoproteins (LDL). .
Delicious olive oil contains all the vitamins and nutrients of olive and if you are able to get organic olive oil, you will get better flavor and aroma.
- Protects against heart disease.
- Promotes healthy digestion.
- Relieves symptoms of ulcers and gastritis.
- Low formation of gallstones.
- Balances the fatty acids in your body.
Scientific studies show that people who eat two tablespoons of virgin olive oil per day for a week show less oxidation of LDL and higher levels of antioxidants in the blood.
If you use organic extra virgin olive oil, you will benefit from higher levels of antioxidants, especially vitamin E and phenols, the same compounds found in grapes because olive oil is less transformed.
7 uses of olive oil.
- Cooked – Start using organic olive oil for cooking or as a replacement whenever a recipe calls for butter.
- Body oil – rub on your body or face after washing. You don’t need a lot to get great hydrating benefits for your skin. It can even be used to shave with or to remove traces of makeup.
- Dry hair, cuticles and nails – Simply put a drop of organic olive oil in your hair to control frizz and unruly hair. You can rub this oil on the nail cuticles to achieve a naturally polished look.
- Controlling an annoying cough or clearing throat – Take a tablespoon to soothe a dry throat or sore throat.
- Glitter in pots and pans – Organic olive oil will naturally prevent scratches and stains and condition your pots and pans.
- Lipstick – Olive oil is the perfect lip balm to prevent chapped lips. It is also ideal for use on your hands as a winter lotion.
- Bath oil – Add a few drops of organic olive oil to the water that will be used for your bath. The benefits for your skin will be evident even after the first use.
Types of olive oil.
It is a mixture of virgin olive oil suitable for consumption and refined marc. The degree of acidity of this type of oil depends on the mixture, not more than 1.5 °
The marc is the residue of the crushed and pressed olive, chemical solvents are applied to it to extract the oil which it has. The resulting crude olive-pomace oil is not suitable for consumption.
Once refined and mixed with virgin olive oils, we obtain olive pomace oil.
Traditional olive oil.
It is obtained as a result of mixing virgin olive oil and refined olive oil.
Refined olive oil is an inferior quality oil, an oil that has not passed quality tests for aroma, flavor, or acidity. It contains less antioxidants and vitamins, as they are removed during the refining process.
Virgin means that olive oil has been produced without any chemical additives, so it does not contain any refined oil. It has less than 2% acidity so it has better flavor.
Virgin refers to the fact that olive oil has been less handled or manipulated in the process.
Extra virgin olive oil comes from the first press and is the highest quality olive oil with the perfect balanced flavor, aroma and acidity.
This olive oil is less processed than virgin olive oil and its taste is very delicate. It is ideal for salad dressings, marinades and for dipping bread.
Cold pressed olive oil.
Cold pressed olive oil is an unregulated label description.
Regarding the degree of acidity, the IOC (International Olive Council) stipulates that extra virgin cannot exceed 1 °.
When the olive oil was pressed a second time with hot water and steam to extract the last drop, the heat during the second pressing took away the delicate flavors.
Today Premium Olive Oil is cold pressed which means that the olive is gently heated to room temperature to avoid loss of taste and pressing and this is done in winter when the temperature is over cold, preserving even more it’s taste.
If you want to know more about the qualities of olive oil, I recommend you this article.