If the glass in one of the windows in your house has been broken or you want to change it because you see that it may be scratched or old, you can do it yourself. At Bricolaje10, we show you how to do it.
Changing the glass of a window is not something impossible, although we must be careful whether it is broken or not, and we must follow specific steps in order to be able to remove the old one without problems and that the new one is perfectly repaired.
How to change a window:
- The first thing to do before you start to touch the glass or crystal is to put some gloves thick enough that you can touch the glass without the risk of cutting yourself and this will allow you to remove any pieces of glass that have been broken. For those that do not come off easily, you should remove them by tapping it with a hammer and gently so that it is also wrapped in a rag or rag.
- Now is the time to clean the frame. If the window is wooden, you need to remove the silicone that remains around the frame and for this use a small screwdriver or a scraper with which you have to clean everything. If the window is aluminum, first remove the rods from the window, then remove the silicone.
- Once you have removed all the silicone, you must finish cleaning the entire interior frame of the window and for this, help yourself with a brush.
- Now take back the silicone or putty, and you have to place the new glass with care, and especially with the help of another person if you see that the window is too big that you cannot fit both the top and the one from below.
- Make sure the glass is snug. If you wish, give a few small touches or exert a small pressure and you will thus know if the glass moves or remains fixed.
- Replace the tie rods and make sure there is no trace of silicone. If so, clean everything up.
- Once the glass is in place, wipe it with a cloth soaked in alcohol so that it is perfectly clean on all edges.
We can choose between sealant or silicone when laying the glass and fixing it. While the former takes a little longer to heat up and harden, the latter goes faster and its transparency also makes it feel like the job is better.
On the other hand, we have to take into account how to measure the new glass before placing it so that it fits the window perfectly.
As we know the measurement of new glass in broken glass:
- Before buying a new glass you will need to take the measurements and for this you will need to count the internal measurement of the well-fitting window and remove two millimeters. If, for example, our window is 30 x 20, we should buy a 29.8 x 19.8 glass.
I leave you a video on how to change the window: