The problem begins when, in this race for material success, we lose other important things along the way: emotional, spiritual and psychological health. On this basis, a movement has emerged which has strengthened in recent years.
This movement is called DownShifting.
What is demotion?
The demotion essentially calls into question the modern way of life, driven by desires and material ambitions.. This movement began its formation in the mid-1980s in the United States and its main goal is to be greater masters of our time, even if it is necessary to give up certain luxuries or better paying positions.
This lifestyle began with important executives who admittedly earned large sums of money, but saw their quality of life deteriorate due to the workload, sharing less with family or devoting less time to their personal interests.
Over time, this perception spread to all levels and echelons of the job, with employees who, even without significant pay, also felt trapped in everyday life and stress at work.
Some examples of radical demotion that we have in Mark Boyle and in the scrublands, who live practically on the fringes of consumer society.
How to practice demotion?
There are many ways to stick with demotion, at first it will not be easy to adjust our lifestyle but over time and in the long run if you have patience you can start to notice positive changes in your life: more free time, less worries, more experiences and emotions, among others.
First of all, it should be noted that talking about demotion can scare people who have very tight budgets since they are not in a position to “sacrifice” part of their salary for a little more free time. However, downgrading can be practiced on many levels without being extreme and still improving the quality of life.
Next, we’ll share some tips to start practicing downshifting:
- First of all, if possible, eliminate credit cards and keep one exclusively for emergencies. Keep track of your spending and budget and try to always pay in cash and from a single bank account. You can use them to make guitar picks.
- Get knowledge that will save you money, for this you can support yourself on the Internet. We are talking about knowing how to make repairs or improvements in your home, which you would otherwise have to pay someone else to do.
- Incorporate the four “R’s” into your life: it is necessary that reduce, reuse, repair and recycle products.
- If you have a car, use it as little as possible and try to use public transport or use the bicycle whenever possible. If there are other people interested in the downshift, feel free to share the ride with them.
- Do your best to live close to work It will save you a lot of time, and you can even have lunch at home. Stop smoking and lose weight, manage your job, so you can finish it in about 4 days.
- During the purchase, do not hesitate to compare prices and buy only the essentials and the necessary. That is to say, if possible, forgo these superficial expenses.
These are just a few recommendations that may seem difficult to implement, but with dedication and patience you can significantly reduce your stress levels. Give it a try!
“Live more simply so that others can just live.” – Mahatma Gandhi.