Environmental pollution is a problem that affects us more and more every year and one of the main causes is the indiscriminate use of plastic, which has serious consequences on the various ecosystems of the planet. And does any plastic object, no matter how small, end up having a very negative impact on the environment if it is not recycled. This is the case with plastic straws, which have become one of the most widely used pollutants in the world. Only in Spain, are used 13,000,000 disposable straws every day.
Plastic straws add to the environmental problem
Although straws entered the market decades ago as a practical and hygienic object, today they represent a polluting and dangerous tool for the planet, which, year after year, takes the lives of hundreds of people. animals in danger, flooding the streets, sewers and sewers with everything. the world and infect the oceans. One of the main reasons is that when they are discarded and end up in the seas, fish and turtles mistake them for food and ingest them, risking their lives.
It is estimated that at least 1.5 million species of marine life, including birds, die each year after swallowing plastic. And a more alarming fact is that if this situation continues by 2050, there will be more plastic in the seas than fish. According to studies, since 2015, the production of plastic in the world reaches 320 million tons each year and around one billion plastic straws are used daily around the world. An object which, although it has an estimated useful life of 10 minutes, will take between 300 and 500 years to biodegrade.
For this reason, just by abandoning the use of plastic straws and replacing them with straws made of ecological materials, we will make a great contribution to the care and recovery of the planet.
What are the solutions to plastic straws?
In order to repair this damage, various organizations and associations have promoted the ban or limitation of plastic straws. Although some of them suggest to stop using them, this is not entirely feasible as there are a large number of people who, for physical needs, depend on them for food or drink. On top of that, kids and many adults just love them and feel more comfortable and safe wearing them.
Reusable straws and plant materials
The aim is to promote the use of alternatives that are more respectful and less harmful to the environment, such as reusable straws, recyclable and biodegradable materials such as steel, silicone or bamboo, or disposable straws that promote ecological culture and make us more responsible with our ecosystem, dramatically reducing the tons of plastic waste that ends up in the oceans.
Materials committed to the environment
If at first glance its cost may seem higher than that of plastic straws, in the long term, on the contrary, this implies considerable savings, not only at home but also for restaurants and grocery stores, since most are made of materials. . not only environmentally friendly but also very durable.
Examples of good ecological and biodegradable straws
- Steel straws: While not the ideal alternative for those who dispense hundreds of drinks a day to take out, it is one of the best options to use around the house, carry in the lunchbox, or on the go. events where the straw is inverted after use, although they are not recommended for very hot drinks. They are made of stainless steel, they can be washed in the dishwasher, by hand or with a special brush. In addition, they are available in different shapes, colors and sizes.
- Bamboo straws: The bamboo they are made with is organically grown, they can be washed and reused and are ideal for children because they are a softer and more natural material. They come in different sizes and unlike steel ones, they can be used in hot and cold drinks.
- Cane straws: Made from Carrizo cane stems. These straws are reusable and customizable, compatible with all types of drinks. They are therefore an economical and ecological alternative that gives a special touch to restaurants and events.
- Wheat straws: The most economical and the most responsible with the environment because they are made from natural wheat stalks. They are compatible with cold drinks and hot drinks, as they do not soften during use.
- Pasta straws: They are an edible option made from wheat and water, like the pasta we eat. These straws are an original and perfect alternative to consume with hot and cold drinks up to 50 ° C.
Any type of sustainable straw is recommended to reduce our plastic waste. If you are a professional or a reseller Laspajitas.com offers a wide variety of ecological straws at the best prices.