One of the first things we must learn in the do-it-yourself world is to hang or suspend furniture on the wall. This is a task for which there are countless options, and of which we will see only a few, and which can be more or less complex depending on the technique used.
While the type of furniture that most often hangs on the wall are tall kitchen units and shelves, it is not uncommon to find others, such as hallway furniture, a living room unit for the television or the sink, and bathroom cabinets.
Initial tips for hanging furniture on the wall
- If the material with which the wall is made comes apart easily or you find that you will not be able to resist the weight, it may not be the best idea.
- Make sure the wall is straight, it is very common even if it is at first sight. If the difference is minimal, it may not be noticed, however, if the difference is significant, the result can be ugly on the one hand and the furniture may even be damaged.
- Use quality anchors, wall plugs and screws, it’s not time to save a few cents.
- Measure twice before drilling and cutting.
- Once hung, be reasonable with the weight.
Through a strip previously fixed to the wall
In the vast majority of cases, when we assemble a piece of furniture that we bought as a kit, we can see how there is a space between the back and the end of the sides. This space is usually the same width as the thickness of the board used to manufacture the module kit or furniture.
The steps would be as follows:
- Find a strip of length equal to the module gap and the specific thickness.
- Fix the strip to the wall with screws and dowels when we want to hang the furniture. Check the height and inclination with level and meter.
- Position the furniture so that the strip is behind the back and secure it with screws or screws.
Mounting a pair of recessed slats
More sophisticated than the previous option, we can use two blades with a recess to fit (as seen in the image). The steps are as follows:
- We take two blades of the appropriate length and make the appropriate recess (machinery is required to do this).
- We fix the first one on the wall, making sure we have a meter and a level that is correctly placed.
- We attach the other to the furniture (from the back and / or sides) with the recess in a complementary way so that they hook and the furniture is supported.
- We lift the furniture and place it so that the recesses of the shutters fit together.
This way of suspending a piece of furniture from the wall, in addition to being resistant, is very practical, as removing the piece of furniture at any time is simple, just lifting it a few centimeters.
In any DIY store we can find endless options of hangers of this type, in many cases the modules are already machined for some models and in others they are packed in the packaging.
They are basically composed of pairs of pieces, one of which is fixed to the wall and complementary to the module. When both are well fixed, we fit and adjust them to make the furniture well fixed.
The advantage of using this type of hanger is that we can adjust the inclination of the furniture in different directions, so that small errors can be corrected very easily.
This is also the best solution for hanging heavy furniture. In this case, the load capacity must be consulted in the product file. They are sold in different formats, materials, reinforced, etc.
Fixed hardware and tips
They are fittings that are fixed to the back of the furniture and have a perforated upper part that protrudes above the furniture. It is in these grooves that the spikes that should have been placed on the wall fit. Although it is a basic and simple way to hang furniture, the resistance is limited and you must be precise when calculating the holes in the wall for the spikes.
Tips for fixing heavy furniture to the wall
When what we are going to fix on the wall is heavy furniture, it’s time to go to the hardware store to ask a professional. There are a multitude of accessories, as we have already mentioned, and depending on the type of furniture not all can be useful.
You have to be very clear the weight of the case and estimate its contents. We must buy a system that is capable of supporting that weight. You also have to measure furniture and wall. One thing that is often overlooked is make sure the wall is really straight And it’s not just what it looks like, which can give us more headaches.
With all this information we can find the hardware. They will also need screws the required thickness and length and of course the tacos suitable for fixing the screw on the wall.
Make sure you have help. You wouldn’t be the first person who thinks you can do this alone and end up regretting, or worse, having an accident.