In this tutorial, we are going to teach you how to make a “pop pop boat” or a steamer with a homemade engine. A simple project where we will use recycled materials. Very curious to do with the little ones in the house.
Homemade steamboat materials.
For this we will need the following materials:
- An empty milk or juice carton.
- Hot silicone.
- Component glue (it will be better if you can get one that is resistant to high temperatures).
- Pliers (preferably with needle nose).
- Marker pen.
- 1 small candle.
- Empty soda can.
- 3 straws (very important that 2 of them have an elbow to bend).
- 1 piece of wire.
Homemade steamboat instructions.
- The first step is to make the body of our boat.
To do this, we will open the milk carton, cut out the top and bottom so that it is fully open. We will use it as a canvas to draw our cuttable plane.
- Solid marked lines are for cropping and dotted lines for folding.
This is how we will get the shape of our boat by closing the edges with silicone or glue. It is important to cut this piece in one of the corners of the cardboard in order to reserve the excess and to make additional pieces for later.
- Once everything is well glued on the edges, 5 centimeters from the tip of the arc, we need to cut out a small centered hole, 1 x 2 cm, where the two straws that will be part of the motor will come out.
- For the motor, we take the aluminum can, mark a central strip 5 centimeters wide, cut it and sand it well around the edges until it is smooth and the glue is well grasped.
Then you fold it in half, you will make a line 1 centimeter from each edge and you will use them to fold the piece of aluminum.
- We open the folded aluminum a little, insert the two straws and close the flaps we made previously.
It would be bulging, but that’s okay. The excess folds should be glued together to create a sealed envelope on the sides, but free at the top and bottom.
- We continue to assemble the ship.
We take out the straws and introduce the two that have an elbow with the smaller part first, which is only two centimeters, so we will get a piece that will look like a kind of “L” tilted at 45 degrees, which we have to insert in the hole which we opened near the bow. We will pass a wire through the body of the boat, so that the position of the piece of aluminum with the straws maintains its position.
- We put the last piece together.
The last room to be built is the tower, with the remains of the milk brick. With the longer cardboard we will cut a shape with the lower part of the boat body, while with what remains we cut two 8 x 7 rectangles, one with the rounded edges on one side and the another with its four complete corners, but with tabs on the edges of the longer side.
Once we have assembled all the parts we will fill the straws coming out of the bottom with water, we will put the sail on top of the boat to heat the aluminum part and this will start our “pop pop boat”.
- How to make snowflakes from plastic bottles
- How to make solar bricks, ideal for accessing your home
- How to make wooden toys
- How to build a wood-fired oven step by step
- Christmas tree with recycled cans