It is a very beautiful piece of decoration for your interior. It is also very useful to make an original gift. You can learn how to create one by following a few simple instructions.
A terrarium is a collection of small decorative plants that grow in a closed environment. The container should be clear and have a wide opening to allow access to houseplants.
If you want to craft one, you will need the following materials:
- Glass jar, reuse one, of course you have plenty on hand.
- Small rocks.
- Medium sized stones for decoration.
- Seedlings You need to select plants small enough for the glass container. If it grows too long, the terrarium will look cramped. The use of: Tillandsia stricta, Pilea involuta, Cyathus bivittatus, Fittonia verschaffeltii var. Argyoneura and various succulents.
All of these, you can get them easily, use whatever you can recycle.
How to make a terrarium?
The described procedure is useful for a horizontal or vertical terrarium.
- Wash the pot and the stones to avoid fungal growth.
- Once dry, glue the mouth of the boat to prevent dirt from escaping. If you decide to give it a portrait orientation, you can skip this step.
- Place a thin layer of activated charcoal. He will keep the water cool and fight any bacterial growth in your terrarium.
- Small stones are placed at the bottom of the pot, which will serve as drainage.
- Place a first layer of soil, trying to cover the entire terrarium.
- Put the seedlings in the arrangement that we consider the most suitable. It is recommended to use those that require high humidity.
- Once the plants are in place, their roots are covered with soil. You can assess if you place foam (do not take it from the field), because it is a soil conditioner and beautifies the terrarium. Don’t take nature’s moss.
- The decoration can be completed by placing stones of different sizes.
- Spray water with a spray bottle two or three times, no more. This will feed the plant, which will recycle it through respiration. Once this step is completed, the terrarium can be closed.
- You can place a decorative figure to showcase the beauty of the craft piece.
It is important to check the humidity levels. The first days the plant acclimates, but after a week you need to remove the excess so that the plant does not die. You can wipe the windows with a cloth to remove it. If there is excess humidity, fungi may also appear.
When summer arrives, avoid placing it in a place exposed to direct sunlight. Glass absorbs heat, it can dramatically increase the temperature and kill plants.