Strawberry jam, recipe with or without sugar. Quick recipe (ready in just 70 minutes), natural strawberry jam and pasteurization.
Have you thought about having your breakfast with strawberry jam made with your own hands?
Strawberries, a tasty fruit with a thousand properties. Think strawberries were included among the superfoods that “keep us younger“.
Strawberries should never be missing from us: they are easy to plant and can give us great satisfaction with abundant fruit production.
Strawberries, in addition to being used in the preparation of cakes, cakes, fruit salads … can become excellent jams. Here’s how to make strawberry jam.
Strawberry jam, step by step recipe.
If you can’t grow them, buy locally grown and seasonal strawberries.
Choose strawberries with a bright, uniform red color and a petiole well attached to the fruit.
To make strawberry jam, it is important to use strawberries that have not been chemically treated. Otherwise, you can clean them with this trick.
Strawberry jam, classic recipe.
We will make this strawberry jam recipe with cane sugar, however, if you prefer, you can substitute the white sugar.
- 2 kilos of strawberries.
- 600 grams of cane sugar.
- A lemon.
- Clean jars that can be hermetically sealed.
How to prepare it.
- Wash the strawberries well by removing their petioles, pass them through a colander to dry them well.
- Wait for them to dry well then transfer them to a bowl and cover them with a few tablespoons of sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and let soak for at least 2 hours in a dark, dry place.
- Then transfer the strawberries to a stainless steel saucepan and add the remaining sugar.
- Cook over low heat until the jam thickens.
- Wait at least ten minutes then pour the strawberry jam into the jars.
Before pouring the jam into the jars, it is better to sterilize them. Simply put the jars in boiling water for about 20 minutes.
- Close the jars tightly and place them on a shelf upside down for about an hour.
- Return the jars to the pantry.
How to store and store jam.
Put the date of preparation of the strawberry jam on a sticker and stick it on the jar.
Store in a cool place, away from light and humidity.
Once the jar of jam is opened, it is placed in the refrigerator and consumed within a week.
Strawberry jam without sugar.
Those who prefer a lighter, sugar-free strawberry jam can follow the recipe we offer below.
The only thing to know when making strawberry jam without sugar is to use very ripe fruit. Also in this case, it is a natural recipe, without preservatives or refined sweeteners.
- 500 grams of ripe strawberries.
- Lemon juice.
- 1 very ripe apple.
- Half a teaspoon of ground ginger (optional).
- Wash the strawberries well and cut them into cubes.
- Peel and cut the apple, still into cubes.
- Add the lemon juice and let stand one hour at room temperature.
- Pour the strawberries and apple in a saucepan in which you will need to add half a glass of water.
- Cook over low heat for about 40 minutes. If you prefer, add a little ginger and mix.
- Pour the sugarless strawberry jam into sterilized glass jars.
- The apple, more than a sweetener, will serve as a thickener: it is a source of natural pectin. In the recipe for strawberry jam without sugar, you can try to replace the apple with a carrot, the result will have a sweeter note.
How to pasteurize homemade strawberry jam.
Strawberry jam, whether made for children, with cane sugar or without sugar, can undergo a homemade pasteurization process.
The process is simple. Once the jars are filled with strawberry jam, seal them tightly. Put the jars in a pot of water.
Make sure the water completely covers the jars. Bring to a boil and wait 50 minutes.
Let the jars cool in boiling water. Once removed from the jar, turn the jars upside down to create a vacuum.