Do you want to change the look of your patio a little but you don’t like what you see? Would you like your garden to be made by yourself? How about a wooden bench? The truth is, it’s easier than it looks. Of course, know how to do it. Therefore, we tell you how to make your own wooden bench
How to make your own wooden bench
Garden furniture has reached absolutely absurd price points. Time and again quadruple what it cost not so long ago. Of course, setting up a terrace, a garden or an outdoor space can become a disproportionate investment. To avoid it, nothing like doing it yourself, starting with how to make your own wooden bench
Let’s say that in the field of outdoor DIY, this would be the easiest one can do, but not the least productive for it. Yes we know how to make your own wooden bench, you just have to learn to make a table | In wood, foldable and with pallets and we would already have where to sit and where to eat, which is not little
Of course, we go step by step. And, in this case, we start by learning how to make your own wooden bench. The option we offer is a bench with a rustic appearance but which you can then adapt to your taste and the environment in which you want to place it. Ultimately, it will be your own bank, so you have the final say.
In this case we will show you how to make your own wooden bench pine and in the simplest way. In other words, with all similar unions, with stud assemblies and adhesives. Basically, to make this DIY easy and satisfying, and you want to do more in the future.
Materials and tools to make your own wooden bench step by step
Before coming in how to make your own wooden bench step by step, we have to collect materials, tools and buy everything we need.
Between the tools you will need are:
- Wood blade
- Cordless drill
- 10mm diameter wood drill bit
- Drilling stop
Once you have the tools, it’s time to collect the material needed to make your wooden bench:
- 140 × 20 mm pine boards
- 90 × 35 mm pine boards
- Pine blade 70 × 70 mm
- 10mm diameter tubes
- Mounting glue
- Fungicidal background
- Matte teak color protector
- Satin finish product in teak color
How to make your own wooden bench step by step
As it is, we are ready to begin make your own wooden bench step by step.
- Step 1 – The first thing to do, before cutting, sawing or drilling, is to draw and mark each of the different parts of the wooden bench. Thus, we will differentiate the legs of the backrest and the seat, without getting involved in the process. We also need to mark the crossbars that will make up the bench.
- 2nd step – Once the pieces have been indicated, it’s time to cut out each one. To do this, we will use the jigsaw with a specific blade for wood. Of course, before cutting, keep the pine boards on the worktable so that they do not move in any way. We recommend a few jaws to do this.
- Step 3 – When we have all the parts cut, we will take the fixed grit sandpaper, as well as the belt sander and we will examine all the parts. So not only do we leave all the material smooth, but we also eliminate splinters and prevent us from being punctured during work and anyone who is sitting on the bench. Not to mention that the finish of the bench will be much more elegant.
- Step 4 – In step 4, we start assembling your own wooden bench. And we do this by mounting both sides of it. To do this, we will join the foot of the backrest with the shorter side cross member. When we have it, we take the drill and make the necessary holes for the joints of the dowel. In this case, we use the 10 mm diameter drill and the drilling stop to avoid protruding.
- Step 5 – Before putting the dowels into the holes, we apply a little mounting glue and insert the dowels, hitting them with the hammer so that they remain secure.
- Step 6 – The next step is to connect the sides. To do this, we use the long crossbars and, as we did in the previous steps, we pull the mounting adhesive and the dowels.
- Step 7 – To stabilize the structure that we have, we place the central crossbar which will strengthen the whole construction.
- Step 8 – Once stabilized, we will assemble the three boards that will make up the seat. To do this, we place them on the structure and assemble them using the adhesive and dowels.
- Step 9 – As we already have the seat, we will do the same with the backrest. In this case, with two boards that we will also join with adhesive and dowels
- Step 10 – We already have the finished wooden bench, at least structurally. It’s time to do the auctions and they start with strengthening the structure to support the weight that comes on it. So, we take some leftovers that we have from pine woods and we shape them into a triangle, placing them in the corners under the structure.
- Step 11 – Although it has already passed, it is time to go over the entire bench again with the belt sander and to leave the surface ready to apply the treatment which protects it from external aggressions.
- Step 12 – The first product that we will apply to the wooden bench is the fungicide base that we will let dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Step 13 – When we can, we will do the same with the matte protector. We offer the teak color to be a color that combines with everything and fits very well with everything that is exterior. Now if you want another color it’s up to you
- Step 14 – The last step is to apply the product with a satin finish, teak color or the color you have chosen. Once dry, your bench will be ready to use and enjoy.
You may also like: