Larch wood has been experiencing an increase in demand in recent years, mainly due to its good construction characteristics. It is a wood with significant hardness, although at the same time it is flexible in reduced widths, light, of good quality and with good resistance to moisture and fungi.
The European larch is a coniferous species that can be found in Central Europe and Russia, and it is also possible to find some farms in northern Spain. It is often compared to pine wood. Its enormous resistance to adverse weather conditions, especially the cold, is impressive.
It is also known as larch wood. The scientific name of the European larch is Larix decides.
Its resin, also known as larch turpentine or turpentine from venice, it has several uses. This includes ointments and pharmaceuticals, varnishes and pigments.
Features of larch wood
Color: The sapwood has light or whitish tones, the sapwood has brown and reddish tones.
Characteristic defects: The knots are abundant but small.
Fiber: In a straight line.
Grain: Good to medium.
Density: It has an approximate density of 590-600kg / m³ at 12% humidity, therefore it is considered a semi-heavy wood.
Toughness (Monnin): 3.8 semi-hard wood.
Durability: Between little and something durable against fungi and sensitive to the action of xylophagous insects.
- Volumetric contraction coefficient: 0.5% moderately edgy wood.
- Compressive strength: 550 kg / cmtwo
- Static flexural strength: 990 kg / cmtwo
- Modulus of elasticity: 138,000 kg / cmtwo
Impregnation: Heartwood not impregnable, sapwood moderately impregnable.
Workability: Generally speaking, it works well with hand tools and machines. However, the natural resins of larch wood can make work a little difficult.
- Sawing: can cause some problems when sawing due to the resin.
- Quick drying, although there is a risk of occasional cracking.
- Brushing: Easy, except risk of fogging by the resin.
- Easy bonding, except when there is resin.
- Nailed and screwed. Pre-drilling is necessary as there is a risk of opening.
- Easy finishing except when there is resin.
Price: The price of larch wood is moderate, especially when there is local production. In the case of Spain, where a large part is imported, the price is a little higher.
It is relatively greasy to the touch. This is largely due to the generation of resin typical of larch wood.
- Construction of houses or carpentry to assemble. It is one of the most used woods for the manufacture of laminated beams and counter-laminated panels.
- Interior and exterior carpentry. Doors, advantages, friezes.
- Manufacture of boats.
- Posts, fences, fences.
- Urban furniture.
- Parquets or solid wood floors.
- Decorative wood veneers.
- It is sometimes used as an ornamental tree.