Domestic accidents are the cause of large and small domestic tragedies. Taking care of our garden, and especially when cutting it, can be the cause of one of these misfortunes. Therefore, we offer some tips to maintain a garden in perfect condition thanks to its lawn mower and without suffering accidents.
There are many models of lawn mowers. Depending on the characteristics and dimensions of the terrain, we must choose one model or another. It is important to know how we are going to use the machine, because although it is true that we will use it throughout the year, the use will be more frequent. the rainiest season, when the grass will grow faster.
The more often we use the lawnmower, the more times we have to configure the machine, so when buying it we have to advise on its maintenance, technical assistance, spare parts …
Types of lawn mower
If the space to cut is reduced, we can use a lawn mower Manual, which is pushed manually. The simplest ones are mechanical and consist only of a few blades. In case you don’t want to make so much physical effort, we can also opt for a self-propelled lawnmower with rotating blades and adjustable according to the height of the lawn.
If, on the other hand, the surface we have to cut is large, a mini lawn mower, which have seats and are powered by a steering wheel. Their cost is obviously much higher, but they are very comfortable to use.
For the maintenance of hedges and finishing irregular or difficult to reach areas, there are small electric motors and gasoline machines, known as hedge trimmers and brushcutters.
To eliminate grass and leaves from the garden, there are blowers, tubes with motors that generate very powerful air currents.
Another big secret so that mowing the lawn doesn’t become a hassle is choosing correctly the shape of the garden. Most gardens are square, but a curved or irregularly shaped garden is much more comfortable to cut.
How to use the lawn mower correctly
- The first thing we must do, and although it seems obvious that it is not always done, is to carefully read the instructions to know the operation and possibilities of your machine. It is important that you know what kind of materials that you can cut safely and which ones can lock the blades, creating a danger for you.
- Before each use, make sure that there are no loose parts in the machine. Also, be sure to remove any forgotten objects that may block the mower, such as balls or lawn toys.
- Do not operate the cutter indoors, always in open spaces where carbon dioxide cannot accumulate.
- During operation, it is very important to keep any part of your body and clothing as far away from the machine as possible. Never mow the lawn barefoot. Wearing appropriate clothing and shoes, including goggles, will reduce the chances of an accident.
- Lawn mowers are devices that mow, as the name suggests, so we should never neglect them while they are on.
- In case of clogging with some stone unplug it before inspecting it.
- Make sure that there are no children or animals near the machine while it is in operation.
- If the cutter works Gasoline, fill outdoors and away from potential sources of ignition.
- If, on the other hand, you have an electric mower, never rush to mow the lawn when the grass is still wet. In addition, you must make sure that you have an extension cable in perfect condition and that you have the power regime required by the cutter. To prevent the extension cord from being damaged too easily, start mowing the lawn in the area.
- When the work is finished, gather, store and protect the tools used. One of the possible reasons why we should change our mower is if it gets wet in the rain.
- Keep the cutter in perfect condition and with sharp blades.
General lawn care
Having a beautiful lawn depends on some factors to be considered. Here are some tricks for keeping green grass in your garden:
- In each cut, you must not cut more than one third of the blade of grass. This helps to develop a deeper root system, which favors the absorption of water and nutrients, especially in the summer.
- Always keep the blades sharp. Blind blades tear the end of the blades of grass, facilitating the entry of diseases.
- Your lawn needs about 25 liters of water per square meter per week during the mowing season. Always try to water early in the morning. Droplets of water left on leaves overnight can harbor harmful lawn diseases.
- Keep your lawn well balanced. To have a healthier and greener lawn, the first step is to analyze it. Know the pH and nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium content of your garden.
- Stacks of compound they are the easiest way to recycle your garden waste. To form the compost, it is enough to drive four wooden or metal poles 1.5 m long and 30 cm into the ground, forming a square. Then, cover three of its sides with wire mesh. Mowed grass, cut leaves, straw and even kitchen vegetable waste can be thrown into the pile. Never deposit meat, bones or vegetable residues that have recently been treated with normal or selective herbicides.