Mansonia wood, also called concrete, is versatile, with excellent appearance and durability. In fact, it is a common substitute for walnut. However, it is complex to work due to its toxicity, which implies some care.
It is native to the west of the African continent. From countries like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon or Congo. Unfortunately, in these areas there are often endangered timber species due to overexploitation, but this is not the case with mansion.
Its scientific name is: Imposing Mansonia A. Chev.
Features of Wood Mansonia
Color: Heartwood varies from yellow to grayish-brown, which becomes lighter with exposure to the sun. The sapwood can vary from yellow to almost white. The sapwood is clearly differentiated from the heartwood.
Fiber: In a straight line. Occasionally intertwined.
Grain: Between fine and medium.
Density: It has an approximate density of 630-660 kg / m3 at 12% humidity.
Toughness: Medium difficult, with a score of 3.8 on the Chaláis-Meudon test.
Durability: Very durable versus decay. Good resistance to attack by insects and fungi. It is a good option for outdoor use.
- Volumetric contraction coefficient: 0.43% moderately nervous.
- Relationship between contractions: 1.65% with no tendency to fade.
- Compressive strength: 590 kg / cm2
- Resistance to static bending: 1,350 kg / cm2
- Modulus of elasticity: 117,000 kg / cm2
Workability: It is a wood that in general works very well with both manual and mechanical tools. Its excellent characteristics of being curved stand out.
- Sawn. No problems.
- Drying. Average drying speed. Risk of deformation and cracks.
- Brushed. No problems
- Glued. No problems
- Nailed and screwed. No problems
- Finish. Easy.
- Toxicity. Sawdust dust can cause allergic reactions and irritations, being, in fact, one of the most toxic species in this respect. In most cases it is irritation of the eyes and skin, although in other cases it can have more serious effects: dizziness, nosebleeds, nausea, headaches, etc. and in the worst case, heart disease. Therefore, it is recommended to have extraction equipment and use a mask.
Price: Average price of imported tropical wood.
Uses of Mansonia wood
It is a very versatile wood and can be used both in and out. However, given the quality.
- Fine furniture or joinery.
- Internal and external carpentry: doors, windows, friezes, baseboards, frames …
- Turned and curved.
- Floors and / or platforms.
- Natural wood veneers. Decorative and manufacturing plywood boards.