Pallets have been another element in the transport gear for decades. Serve as support for loading, unloading and moving goods. Although in recent years, interest in them has surpassed the world of logistics. There are many people fans of the world do it yourself those who require them to do all kinds of projects.
They are not all the same. There are different materials and pallet sizes in order to adapt to the transport industry in each area: trucks, ships and containers, forklifts …
PALLET SIZES AND MEASURES
Among the most common, we find European and American pallet sizes and measurements.
- European pallet size, also known as europalet or epal. 1200 × 800 mm. According to the regulations, this type of pallet weighs around 25 kg and must support about 4,500 kg in static and 1,500 kg in movement. Its use is especially widespread, as it is also used as an exhibitor in stores, supermarkets and department stores.
- American pallet size, is also known as universal pallet or isopallet. 1200 × 1000 mm. It is the most common outside Europe, especially in areas of American commercial influence. Being larger than the European one, the American pallet does not allow a good optimization in a large part of the European transport industry.
Other measures that we can find, but that are not so common, are 1000 × 800 mm and 800 × 600 mm. The first is of particular importance in the world of construction and the second is also widely used as a means of displaying and transporting consumer goods.
In the European case, pallets that strictly comply with the standard, comes with its corresponding seal, which allows you to quickly identify and measure them.
The most common material for making pallets is wood, there is no doubt about that. However, over the years, new materials have been introduced, such as plastic or metal. Pallets made with these non-wood materials must also follow industry standard measures.
Why are wooden pallet measurements standardized?
It is a subject that to many may seem trivial, but in reality it is not. As already mentioned, pallets are used for the handling and storage of all types of goods. Consider a large warehouse where there are dozens of people working with forklifts and each pallet is different. What we do? Did we move the truck to each pallet? Often chaos and waste of time, right?
This same logic can be applied to many daily tasks in the logistics world: optimization the width of trucks, trucks, racks, etc.
It is proven that something as simple as the standardization of these measures generated major improvements in loading capacity and speed.
Recommendations for using pallet wood
Wooden pallets are increasingly used in the world of decoration and DIY. But we must not use any and in no way:
- Avoid recycling pallets that have been in contact with polluting materials.
- Make sure to remove all nails and screws supplied with the pallet. We can damage tools such as saws, sanders, etc. or even sting us.
- Sanding, even if it is a dirty and boring task, is essential. Clean the wood, improve the result in the application of any finish, discover a multitude of defects that the wood can have.
- Avoid very old and damaged things. Often, when we see them as free, we want to use them and, believe me, it’s no use. Not for the time necessary, nor for what we may end up spending to get it right (electricity, sandpaper, paint …).