Palo santo wood or Rosewood is a very dense, oily and fragrant wood native to South America. It is very resistant to moisture and attack by all types of insects. In fact, it was one of the preferred species for making ship propellers.
It is a species at risk therefore, their production and marketing are controlled.
Its scientific name is Bulnesia Arborea or Bulnesia sarmientoi. It is also known as Verawood or Lignum Vitae Argentino.
Characteristics of rosewood
Color: The heartwood may present shades of brown, black and even olive green. The color darkens with time and exposure to light. The sapwood may present shades of pale yellow. The heartwood is easily distinguished.
Fiber: Straight or slightly interlaced.
Density: It is very heavy, between 1,190-1280 kg / m3.
Toughness: Very hard wood.
Durability: Durable against fungi and insects. It is also durable in contact with the ground.
Dimensional stability of rosewood:
- Volumetric contraction coefficient: –
Mechanical properties of palo santo wood:
- Compressive strength: 765 kg / cmtwo
- Static flexural strength: 1,810 kg / cmtwo
- Modulus of elasticity: 160,000 kg / cmtwo
Workability: Due to its density, it is considered difficult to work with.
- Sawn. It requires great power and produces great wear on machinery.
- Drying. Slow. There is a risk of cracking and deformation.
- Brushed. Complex due to density and resin production.
- Glued. Difficult, it produces a lot of resin.
- Nailed and screwed. Requires knockouts.
- Finish. Complex due to strong resin exudation.
- On the other hand, it behaves very well when turning.
- If it comes in direct contact with the skin, it can cause allergic reactions.
Emanates to intense and pleasant fragrance.
Palo santo wood usa
- Construction of houses. In addition to being resistant, it is durable, even buried.
- Manufacture of all types of tools and handles.
- Small carvings or craft items, such as toys or decorative objects.
- Electric poles and fences.
- Ship building.
- It has a great caloric value so it is also used as firewood or charcoal.