Porcelain surfaces are a trend as kitchen and bathroom countertops. Brands like Dekton or Neolith are the most popular, but not the only ones
Porcelain countertops, or rather, porcelain surfaces are a relatively new product with many advantages over what we know so far.
It is common to speak in terms of countertops, but these surfaces are much more. They can also be used as bathroom countertops, wall and facade coverings and even as floors.
What are porcelain countertops?
It’s about ultra-compact surfaces. Different natural mineral compounds are used, which are subject to very high pressures and temperatures. A compact material is obtained with a porosity very close to 0% and with great physical and chemical resistance.
As for the designs and colors of the porcelain countertops, the offer is still limited. It is not because of a technical problem, with this material you can do many things. It has much more to do with what is new and relatively little on the market. Currently, there are no problems in finding porcelain countertops that imitate woods, marbles, oxides, crystals or even plain colors.
Advantages of porcelain countertops
In terms of performance and characteristics, we are facing a type of product that represents the most modern and innovative.
- High thermal resistance. It does not burn or deteriorate when in contact with fire or very hot pans. This is the main disadvantage of compact quartz countertops like Silestone or Compac.
- Resistance to ultraviolet radiation. Exposure to sunlight does not deteriorate its colors. Another frequent problem in quartz countertops.
- Great resistance to scratches and wear.
- Waterproof, not porous. Liquids, especially acids, which can stain other surfaces such as granite or marble, do not penetrate porcelain tiles.
- Very easy to clean.
- Hygienic. You can come into direct contact with food without any problem.
- High flexural strength. Therefore, it can be used as a floor.
- No maintenance required.
- Ecological and recyclable.
- They are available not only in the typical large countertop sizes. We can also find them in tile format and different thicknesses.
- The price. Unfortunately, there are no cheap porcelain countertops. Another way to see this is that the other options do not offer the same features.
- The offer in designs and colors is still limited. However, if we don’t limit ourselves to one brand, the problem changes.
The big question regarding this product is related to long-term durability. As it is a novelty, doubts may arise about how it will evolve and about the state of 10-15 years of a bench installed now. Although nothing seems to indicate that there could be major problems, many consumers are asking this question, which is very reasonable.
Top brands and manufacturers
The number of companies offering this type of surface is still limited, although it is growing. In most cases, these are manufacturers that are already on the market and have recognized brands.
In this sector, Spain has a prominent presence with three renowned manufacturers of porcelain kitchen countertops:
- Dekton. This is the brand used by Cosentino, the same manufacturer of Silestone quartz countertops, to market these surfaces.
- Techlam. This time is the name of Levantina, a company known for its products derived mainly from natural stones such as marbles and granites.
- Neolith. TheSize, unlike the previous ones, is a new company. Despite this, it has no complexes and competes with Neolith, its porcelain brand.