Cocoa is a fruit known around the world to be the main ingredient in chocolate. However, this fruit is not only useful at the gastronomic level, but it has a large number of properties and benefits for the health of our body.
In this article, we’re going to tell you a little bit about cocoa, formerly known as “food of the gods”.
What is cocoa?
It is the fruit of the “cocoa tree”, native to the lands of America. Your tree, Theobroma cocoaIt has been cultivated since the beginning of the population of native tribes such as the Incas, Mayas and Aztecs.
The cocoa fruit was widely used by indigenous tribes to treat bodily ailments, as well as a type of currency for the acquisition and exchange of other commodities. In Europe, cocoa and its properties were known in the 15th century, after the discovery and colonization of American lands.
The main use of this fruit is in the preparation of foods, including chocolate. Its smell and exquisite taste delight adults and children, regardless of gender.
Cocoa is an excellent food that provides energy to the body, highly recommended for those who practice sports or physical exertion. It is a fruit that contains vitamins A and B, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, caffeine, carbohydrates, antioxidants and a high index of fats (especially saturated, and in a less monounsaturated or polyunsaturated), which are essential for the body.
Main uses of cocoa
In the field of gastronomy, cocoa is mainly used in the production of chocolate, which results from the process of crushing its fruits. This fruit is processed, sweetened and mixed with milk to obtain a wide variety of chocolates.
Chocolates are widely used in the production of all kinds of drinks (such as liqueurs, cold milkshakes or hot drinks, for example). It is also common to find chocolate in the form of filled chocolates or in desserts.
In natural medicine
Hundreds of scientific studies have been developed to assess the properties and benefits of cocoa. For this reason, in natural medicine, cocoa is used to cure or relieve fatigue, physical fatigue, extreme thinness, anemia, kidney problems, intestinal problems and even fever.
In cosmetology and beauty treatments
The butter produced by cocoa is an excellent ally for treating dry skin, cellulite, stretch marks and even in hair masks. In the cosmetology and beauty market we find hundreds of cocoa products, both for skin and hair.
In sexual performance
Thanks to its components such as phenylethylamine and serotonin, which act as neurotransmitters responsible for stimulating endorphins in the brain, cocoa produces a feeling of well-being, pleasure and excitement.
Best way to consume cocoa
It is recommended to consume it in liquid form, either in a drink dissolved in milk or water, and preferably hot, one to two ounces being ideally 2-3 times per week.
Benefits of cocoa
- the cocoa helps increase endorphin production, contributing to a better mood of the person, which helps to fight against physical or mental stress.
- It’s a excellent antioxidant. Cocoa contains flavonoids, a powerful antioxidant that helps the cardiovascular system prevent disease.
- Antioxidants, with oleic acid Contained in cocoa, they protect the cells of the body against attack by free radicals, delaying aging.
- Helps prevent diabetes, as well as cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. It is also effective in preventing different types of cancer (such as liver, stomach, or colon, for example).
- An intake of between 50% or 60% cocoa contributes to minimize bad cholesterol levels (LDL).
- As it is a product with properties similar to caffeine, it helps in the production of urine which makes it an excellent diuretic.
- It is recommended for people the Depression, since its anandamide content acts as an excellent regulator to fight against bad mood.
Remember to consult your doctor before starting any treatment with natural products.