At the IES Universidad Laboral de Toledo, as part of the vocational training cycle of electrical and automatic installations, the professor Pedro Francisco García Martín has developed an Android application for mobile phones and tablets which allows students to design and implement solar photovoltaic installations.
What is SOLARPE.
SOLARPE is a guide for the design and installation of autonomous photovoltaic systems, which allows to perform the following functions:
- Know the inclination of the panels for better use of the system.
- Measure the tilt.
- Orient the panels in the optimal orientation.
- Calculate the distance between the panels to avoid shadows.
- It announces the maximum solar height according to the day of the year.
- This application automatically connects to the NASA database, to know the solar radiation at the installation site.
- SOLARPE uses the sensors of the telephone to know the geographical coordinates of the installation site and to measure the inclination and orientation of the solar panels.
- It allows to know all the parameters of the components of a photovoltaic solar installation, according to the loads and days of autonomy.
SOLARPE as an educational resource.
It offers the possibility of carrying out a variety of educational activities such as:
- Classroom exercises.
- Verification of results.
- Strengthening and deepening exercises.
- It also supports autonomous learning, so it can be easily integrated into eLearning environments.
- And students can compare SOLARPE with other similar apps, offering improvements and updates, making them protagonists in the development of the app itself.
Thanks to SOLARPE, students can use their own mobile phone to supplement their learning, increasing your motivation. The teacher no longer acts as a simple transmitter of knowledge, but becomes the guide and companion of the pupil in his own learning process. Activities can be tailored to the needs of each student, maintaining a personalized and practical approach.
Initially, the SOLARPE app had a local impact when used by students at the IES Universidad Laboral de Toledo educational center.
Subsequently, this application was released on the Internet for free, ad-free, in Spanish and English, reaching wide circulation with over 36,000 downloads from over 40 countries, according to data provided by Google Play Store, where the app is published.
In this way, SOLARPE has not only become a useful tool for students, it is also a useful tool for society in general. It has special acceptance in countries like India, where the use of solar energy is favored and where there are large areas lacking electricity.
It must be taken into account that currently one billion people in the world still do not have access to electricity and 674 million are expected to continue without it in 2030, when 21% of global energy consumption will come from renewable energies. energies, as outlined in the energy progress report prepared by the International Energy Agency. In this scenario, photovoltaic solar energy will play a decisive role, promoting access to electricity in remote areas and improving the progress and quality of life of the populations.
SOLARPE will continue to be available on the Internet with the idea that it can continue to help students or those interested in solar photovoltaic energy, contributing modestly to a cleaner and more sustainable world.
The environmental situation of our planet is gradually worsening due to the depletion of natural resources, increased waste and global warming.
Education plays a fundamental role in making new generations aware of the importance of taking care of the environment, consuming responsibly and promoting energy savings.
In addition, at the educational stage of vocational training, the integration of environmental content is essential because it promotes entrepreneurship and student employment.
More specifically, photovoltaic solar energy will experience increasing development in the decades to come. Solar panels for photovoltaic energy have dropped their price by 80% in the last 5 years, and in Spain we have many hours of solar radiation, so our country could become a world power in this type of energy. In addition, photovoltaic energy does not deplete natural resources, it can create jobs and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, one of the main causes of global warming.
The SOLARPE application is available on Google Play in three different versions to promote its distribution. In the following links you can access the pages of the Google Play Store where it can be downloaded and where you can also see some opinions of its users.
Currently the application has evolved into a new version called SOLARPE PRO, in order to provide a global and professional response to the needs of design, calculation and installation of photovoltaic systems.
SOLARPE PRO is free and has new features, being also useful for ON GRID and OFF GRID systems. It automatically connects to the NASA database to know exactly the solar radiation data at the installation site and provides specifications for all necessary components.
SOLARPE PRO is always free and has the following features:
- It automatically connects to the NASA database to know exactly the solar radiation data on the site of the photovoltaic installation.
- It allows to know the inclination of the solar panels for a more efficient use of the system.
- We can measure the inclination of the panels.
- We can orient the photovoltaic panels according to the optimal orientation.
- It calculates the distance between panels to avoid shadows.
- Calculate the maximum solar height based on the day of the year.
- SOLARPE PRO calculates the parameters of all the components according to the loads and days of autonomy, for OFF GRID SYSTEMS, not connected to the network.
- We can also calculate the parameters of all the components according to the panels, for SYSTEMS CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK.
- It works well in both the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere.
- It is a multilingual application that integrates the languages Spanish, English and French.
SOLARPE PRO accepts the proposals and suggestions of its users in order to improve day by day, helping to design and install photovoltaic systems and modestly contributing to a cleaner and more sustainable world.
Photovoltaic solar energy will experience increasing development in the decades to come. Solar panels for photovoltaic energy have dropped their price by 80% over the past 5 years, and in many countries solar radiation is abundant, so they could take advantage of this type of energy by reducing their dependence on oil. In addition, photovoltaic energy does not deplete natural resources, it can create jobs and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, one of the main causes of global warming.
The SOLARPE PRO application is available for free on Google Play and in a few days since its launch it has already had a good acceptance, being considered one of the most complete tools for this type of installation.
SOLARPE PRO can be downloaded from the following link.