Wood is a beautiful, ecological and 100% renewable material. But it is not always cheap. It is often necessary to find a way to save money and for them it is necessary to use cheap wood.
There are different ways to achieve this, but you should be aware that not all wood and wood products are suitable for any use.
Planks or Industrialized Wood
Depending on the project or work that we are going to carry out, we can use some of the products derived from wood that are mainly sold in cardboard. It is even possible that this format is more suitable and easier to work for certain uses, for example, in the construction of many furniture.
Sorted in ascending price order, we find:
- Agglomerated. Without a doubt, this is the cheapest way to buy wood. Its use is very limited to the manufacture of furniture and is marketed essentially coated with melamine.
- MDF. It is used for the manufacture of furniture, but not only, also for interior carpentry: doors, moldings, frames, baseboards, etc. Melamine and raw are sold. The latter format is common for being an excellent support for the application of finishes.
- THE B. It is a type of structural panel, initially intended as a low-cost substitute for plywood in the construction industry.
- plywood. Formed by the union of several wooden veneers, it is a format with excellent performance. It is resistant and very dimensionally stable. Quality and price depend a lot on the wood used. It is common to use superior quality wood for the external faces.
This is by far the cheapest way to buy wood. It is mainly due to economies of scale, greater use of the tree and even the use of recovered wood.
To obtain or buy them, you will need to go to a wood store in your area. Do-it-yourself centers usually have something, but the stock and variety are small.
Natural Solid Wood
There are many wood species across the planet and their distribution is not homogeneous. Therefore, a given species can be very abundant in one area and therefore be cheap, and in another area be more expensive because it is not native there and has to be imported.
The cheapest woods generally, in terms of species, are generally:
- Pine. There are many types of pines and not all are sold at the same price. Some species, such as maritime pine or larch pine, are usually cheap.
- Fir tree.
As for the formats in which it is marketed, it is usually that of rods, battens, posts or beams. In some cases, on listed plates.
The concept is very simple. Use wood that was previously used and no longer. The most common case is pallets for transporting goods.
But it is not the only source. It is also possible to recover wood from old houses that are being demolished or renovated, remains of industry that for some reason could not be commercialized, etc.
Where to find and / or buy pallets?
- Buy them new from companies that manufacture them.
- There are small companies that are dedicated to contacting other companies that regularly use pallets to collect or buy those they no longer need. These companies repair them, if necessary, and subsequently market them, both to individuals and to other companies, at relatively low prices.
- Test for yourself the companies looking for pallets they no longer need. In industrial parks it is common to find them huddled outside warehouses. Also supermarkets, wholesalers, etc.
eye! you often don’t think about him work that requires wood recovery and not the associated costs of doing so (tool, electricity, finishes). Sometimes it can be even more expensive.
Cheap outdoor woods
Some species of tropical wood with excellent outdoor performance are often used. However, this is not cheap. In fact, it can be very expensive.
Therefore, if what we want is to use wood outdoors without having to spend a lot of money, it will be necessary to resort to some treatments. Two of the most common options in this regard are:
Autoclave treated pine. It is a treatment that does not make wood excessively expensive and considerably improves its performance. It is based on subjecting the wood to unnatural conditions (pressure and / or vacuum) and the application of salts.
Phenolic plywood panels. They are those in which phenolic glues were used during the manufacturing process. Thanks to this, the negative effect that water and bad weather would have on wood is drastically reduced.
Forget the big DIY centers, if they have anything, the price will skyrocket. Find a logger in your area.