Its scientific name is Origanum majorana, but it is generally referred to as marjoram, mayorana, or marjorama.
It is a perennial herbaceous plant that is found in the Lamiaceae family, and is cultivated for its aromatic use, as it is reminiscent of pine and citrus.
It originates and grows generally in East Asia and the Mediterranean region, and its cultivation has spread to Spain where it grows in dry, sunny areas.
Marjoram reaches a height of up to 60 cm. tall, slightly woody at the base, with oval, entire leaves, woolly and whitish.
The small lip flowers grow together in clusters and are usually pink or white and their seeds are small, round and reddish, this plant is widely used in gastronomy due to its spectacular aroma, which makes it highly regarded in the culinary world.
It is very common in Italian cuisine sauces, cheeses and in sausage dressing, but in addition to that, ¿did you know that marjoram has spectacular qualities and health benefits?
Keep reading this article and learn a little more about this spectacular plant!
Properties of marjoram.
As we mentioned before, this plant not only has a spectacular aroma that makes it so desired in the culinary world, but it also has multiple properties that make it perfect for tackling various health issues.
- Digestive properties, which increases the production of gastrointestinal juices, thereby improving digestion. Therefore, the consumption of this plant is very useful in case of constipation and digestive disorders in general.
- Aperitif properties: excellent for treating cases of poor appetite, or to increase appetite before meals.
- Sedative properties, its consumption is therefore recommended in case of insomnia or sleep problems. Highly recommended for people who suffer from anxiety and nervousness, being strongly recommended in these cases to take an infusion of marjoram.
- Antispasmodic properties, because it helps relax the muscles, which makes it very effective in treating stomach cramps and diarrhea.
- Antibacterial for urological use, being its highly recommended consumption to treat urinary tract infections.
Benefits of marjoram.
Thanks to its excellent properties, marjoram offers the body a wide and wide range of options and benefits that can treat various conditions, such as:
- Diseases of the respiratory system, nervousness, gastric gas, such as gastric tonic and antispasmodic
- In headaches, headaches, amenorrhea.
- It is also excellent for treating infections, breathing problems, anxiety and stress problems, urinary tract infections, and sleeping problems.
Uses of marjoram.
Here we leave you with some of the easy, quick, and natural uses that can help you start including marjoram in your routine:
Take two or three cups per day as an infusion to treat gas or breathing problems.
The preparation of this tea is for drinking and eliminating headaches. Another option is to massage the head with a small infusion of marjoram.
Remember to consult your doctor before starting any natural treatment.