With the aim of reviving the use of wind power in urban settings and transforming wind power into electricity in the most efficient way possible, students from the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico designed a wind thruster for a vertical wind turbine of the Savonius type, a compact device, the particularity of which is that it manages to turn at low wind speed.

Michel Ayala Canseco and Jesua Salvador Salcedo Castañeda, students of the Interdisciplinary Professional Unit in Engineering and Advanced Technologies (UPIITA), pointed out that in Mexico, factories using clean technologies produce 29.5% of electricity, while the remaining 70.5% is generated in one with the use of fossil fuels, which contributes to the increase in global warming.

Polytechnics explained that the best-known wind turbines are those with a horizontal axis, which, due to their dimensions and the size of their propellers, are able to capture large amounts of wind energy and produce abundant electricity, however, it is necessary to place them in open spaces with strong winds, of at least 10 meters per second (m / s), such as those that exist in the coastal area of ​​the state of Oaxaca.

We decided to apply mechatronic engineering to optimize the performance of Savonius type vertical axis wind turbines, as they are compact devices that can be used in cities or communities where there is not much wind and can operate with little wind energy, from 8 m / s. .

Michel Ayala Canseco.

Through the thesis “Development and construction of a wind booster for implementation in a Savonius type vertical axis wind turbine», For which they received their title of mechatronic engineers, the young people built, in an unprecedented way, the first prototype of its kind, composed of 10 blades and two conical plugs, placed around the wind turbine, to increase the speed and achieve constant thrust towards the rotor blades.

With the booster, we were able to increase the speed of the wind turbine by 25%, which went from 850 to 1200 revolutions per minute, taking into account the same characteristics and conditions of the rotor, this increase in the efficiency of its operation is reflected by generating more electrical energy.

Jesua Salvador Salcedo Castañeda.

Under the direction of Dr Carlos Alberto Duchanoy Martínez, professor at the Computer Research Center (CIC), the mechatronic engineers will submit the results of their project to an international specialized journal for publication, they also plan to enter a process of optimization performance of the booster and does not exclude the possibility of patenting its development in the future.

According to the polytechnics, using a Savonius wind turbine with an air booster would mean a great help for the environment, as it would stimulate the production of clean and renewable energy and lead to savings for consumers, and also contribute to the goal. defined in the national development plan, to achieve production of up to 35% renewable energy by 2024.

Going through www.ipn.mx